by John Biehler
Power Rankings for this week. A special thanks to, BlueJacketsHockey
1. San Jose Sharks (26-4-3) 55 points
Yes, I know they lost twice this week and once to the Blue Jackets, but as of now I still think, by a slight edge they are the best in the NHL right now.
2. Detroit Red Wings (22-6-4) 48 points
Yea, they were one of the teams that beat the sharks last week and I know I’ll have some angry Bruins fans, but they beat the best team in the NHL, they gotta be here.
3. Boston Bruins (24-5-4) 52 points
Don’t get me wrong Bruins, I think you are a great team and that you will someday be 1 or 2, but the Wings beat the Sharks last week and I don’t think it’s fair to make the Sharks move from 1 to 3 when right now, they are still the best team in the leauge, but I think that the Bruins may be number 1 in a few weeks to come.
4. Chicago Blackhawks (18-6-7) 43 points
Can you say on fire? I’m not sure the Blackhawks can’t beat anyone right now there on a 7 game win streak right now, and I don’t care who you beat 7 games in the NHL is impressive, and Toews and Kane are two guys that can make things like that happen for you, also great goaltending by Nikolai Kabibulin, and Cristobal Huet. That’s the game to watch this week friday night, Flyers and Hawks.
5. New York Rangers (22-12-2) 46 points
They look solid as always, and yes I am taking into account that they have played alot more games than every one, but even if you let people catch up they are still doing just about as good as the Flyers or Caps. Even without Jaramir Jagr they have been able to consistantly put up points and that is the key to success.
6. Philadelphia Flyers (18-8-7) 43 points
With an impressive 7-1 win against the Caps this saturday I think they Flyers have hit a hot streak and they are still without Breiere. I think when he comes back, you will see an extremly effective offense and an underrated goaltender blosum in Antero Nittymaki.
7. New Jersey Devils (19-9-3) 41 points
Speaking of hot, is there anyone who can beat the Devils? (BlackHawks) This team is 7-1-1 this month and they can prove there selfs this week if they can beat the Bruins, Pens, and Rangers. I think if they can take 2 of those 3 then more people will start to notice the Devils are for real, even without Brodeur.
8. Washington Capitals (20-11-3) 43 points
They are playing good hockey right now, problem is alot of teams are playing better hockey, they need to start getting a little more effective in the defensive end, especially in the slot area, and I still think it’s a misstery why they sent down Simeon Varlamov, he was 2-0 with a GAA of 1.50 and a save % of .953. Also known as alot better than Jose Theodore, but hey, maybe that’s why I’m here doing this and I’m not in the front office.
9. Montreal Canadians (18-9-6) 42 points
After being cold for a while, a win against a solid Sabres team has put them back on track, If there injuries heal up any time soon they could make a run and get in good playoff position by the break.
10. Pittsburgh Penguins (17-11-4) 38 points
They have been playing sub-par latley, and just got thromped by a not so impressive Maple Leafs team. Malkin keeps puttin up points, but what does it matter if your falling out of the playoff picture.
11. Calgary Flames
12. Vancouver Canucks
13. Anaheim Ducks
14. Buffalo Sabres
15. Carolina Hurricanes
16. Phoenix Coyotes
17. Minnesota Wild
18. Nashville Predators
19. Florida Panthers
20. Toronto Maple Leafs
21. Colorado Avalanche
22. Columbus Blue Jackets (14-15-4) 32 points
The Columbus Blue Jackets had a overtime win over the previously only 5 time beaten, San Jose Sharks 2-1 in OT. On the very next night they played the Dallas Stars and put in their goalie that just came off the injury list, Pascal LeClarie. He gave up 5 goals in the 3 periods though the Blue Jackets also answered with 5 goals. In the shootout stars won 2-0. CBJ this week, 1-2
23. Edmonton Oilers
24. Ottawa Senators
25. Los Angeles Kings
26. Dallas Stars
27. Atlanta Thrashers
28. St. Louis Blues
29. Tampa Bay Lightining
30. New York Islanders
My Top 3 Contendors for MVP
1.Evgeni Malkin- He has been so efficent on the powre play this year at the point and it seems that when ever I see the Pens on a power play on TV they score and if it’s an assist or a goal he is always in on it, and he is similar to last years MVP (Alex Ovechkin) In that he bring alot of energy to the team, and who wouldn’t love to play with that
2. Alex Ovechkin- He had an average week, but week in and week out Malkin always has great weeks, Ovechkin has been a goal scoring machine latley, but not so much this week, I think he should get right back into the swing of things against the Rangers.
3. Jeff Carter- He has been great this year, and I’m not sure anyone could have called this season, he is first in the NHL in goals (25) and 6th in points (39) he also plays great Defense and forces alot of turnovers, and most importantly his team is successful right now. If the Flyers keep winning, and he keeps putting pucks in the back of the net, I think he might stay on this list, and even climb up it.
My Top 3 Contendors for Defensiveman of the year
1. Dion Phaneuf- The guy just continues to play physical hockey and never let’s so much as a pop corn vendor go by him, he is also contributing on the offensive end with 20 assists. i think it will be a while before someone knockes him of this list.
2. Zdeno Chara- He plays the boards so well and now in the NHL it is hard to cut threw teams so when you have a big body like him who understands his size, and what his limitations are, you have an unstoppable force on defense, which creates a good offense. And that’s why the Bruins are playing so well right now.
3. Mike Green- Skates like a center, toe drags like a winger and hits like a Defensman. If he had the smart of the two guys above him, and didn’t have the injury problems, he might be first on this list, he throws tuns of open ice checks, which you don’t get from D guys as much these days. I think if he can stay health he might go up this list.
My Top 3 Contendors for goaile of the year
1. Henrick Lundqvist- He is playing great hockey right now with a record of 18-10-2 with a stagering save % of .913 just a little bit better defense and that record might look a lot better and there power ranking might go up a little bit too.
2. Evgeni Nabokov- He hasn’t played as many games as he’s liked this year because of injury, but he’s 18-3-2. it’s hard to argue that, if he gets healthy he might be number one and the Sharks might beat everyone they play.
3. Roberto Luongo- He’s still hurt and I think this might be his last week on this list for a while. He has 5 shut outs and his defense is not all that great he’s 11-5-2, and it would be better if he was a bruin, or a shark. I hope he can get healthy so he can keep making great saves, and giving offenses fits.
Ovechkin8peterson28 originally published this article at rootzoo.com. Besides writing articles, he’s often found making his nfl picks. He’s also an expert when it comes to ncaa basketball picks. Keep an eye out for his fantasy basketball rankings.